Eggplant Zucchini Veggie pizza with Pesto and Feta – aka slice of heaven
I made this last night – and ben and i agreed that it was in the top three pizzas we have ever eaten. I made up the recipe and thought you would enjoy!
1 large egg plant
1/2 purple onion
diced nuts (pine nuts?? optional)
1 goats feta or feta soaked in olive oil (comes this way in a jar or tupperware)
1/2 cup basil spread or pesto
pizza base or dough
(I spent roughly 25 dollars on the meal and it makes 2 pizzas)
1. Cut eggplant into 1/4 inch slices – salt liberally (see video below, the process softens the eggplant and brings out flavor) let set out for 30 min – 1 hour
2. Meanwhile, cut zucchini long ways into thin strips. Cut onion and cherry tomatos. Put zucchini and tomatos in oven at 400 F for 8 minutes.
4. After the eggplant has soaked – rinse with water. Then glaze with a light layer of olive oil and saute in pan on high heat. Flip when eggplant side blackens.
5. While cooking eggplant, spread basil or pesto as the sauce on the pizza base.
6. Place blackened eggplant pieces, baked zuchini slices, and cherry tomatos on pizza base.
7. Saute the purple onions with a little oil and 2 tbs garlic paste until blackened. Then decorate pizza with.
8. Crumble feta over the pizza.
9. Bake for 20 minutes (until base is crispy and golden brown) at 400 F. (check the temperature with the pizza base you choose)
10. Top with arugula garnish and chopped up nuts.
Anyways it is amazingly yum! w